Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Getting Back Into The Dog Park Routine

I have yet to get back into the swing of taking photographs at the dog park. To be honest I am afraid of dropping my camera. The park is a mud bog and I have my hands full with Maizie. Today our visit went well. Maizie and I have worked out a routine where she runs to the gate, enters the code and holds the door open for the dogs.

We make certain no other dogs are coming or leaving the park and then I open the back of the truck and Stella and Darwin make a mad dash to the gate. Once in Maizie closes the gate and unhooks their leashes. We open the second gate and the dogs take off into the park for a frolicking good time.

It took a few visits for Maizie to get back into following the rules of staying seated on the bench while the dogs run. If it is just Stella and Darwin she can roam but if there are many more dogs we sit on the bench. Today there were twelve dogs! Twelve wild, ornery dogs. Maizie and I were both covered in mud by the end of our visit. It was a great time nonetheless. I missed a lot of great photo opportunities today. Argh.

I am praying the weather stays nice, the earth dries up a bit and the trips become less muddy.
Tonight I combed Darwin. What a mess. All of a sudden he is shedding...bad. I combed him for a good forty minutes and he still needs work. A bath is in order. I think I will be taking him to a groomer within the week.

3 comments:

i said...

Playing in the mud sounds really fun. Wish I can have a go at it too. Oh, is it the shedding season for Darwin?

Johann The Dog said...

Mud, that sounds like loads of fun! We're starting to blow our coats a bit too - lots of fur to keep up with. Woofs, Johann

Lacy said...

woofies and burfs, me, rocky iz sheddin too, but bear has already dided dat..the dog park sounds like a lot of fun, wish me had one to go to..

b safe,
~rocky~